In Canada there are no abortion laws, making it legal to get an abortion at any point during a pregnancy, for any reason, right up until the moment of birth.
Canada is the ONLY Western country without abortion legislation.
Because preborn babies are not considered human beings under the law, they have no legal protection. It is not considered an offence to injure or kill a preborn baby before or during his/ her birth.
Facts About Abortion in Canada:
- Sex-selection abortion is legal.
- Abortion of children because of disability or medical issues is legal.
- Abortion is paid for by your tax dollars. (Except for private clinic abortions in New Brunswick. However, New Brunswick taxpayers still fund hospital abortions.)
Approximately 100 000 surgical abortions are performed each year in Canada. (5)
1 in 4
Canadian pregnancies end in abortion. (1)
3% at risk
Only 3% of abortions are performed because of ‘health risk to the mother’. (2)
About half of women with unplanned pregnancies choose abortion. (3)
Fewer than 1%
offer the child for adoption.
Less than 1%
of abortions are for cases of rape
or incest. (2)
Today abortion is used as a ‘back-up’ form of birth control in 96% of instances. (4)
Couples wanting to adopt have to wait approximately 8-10 years to adopt a baby.
1. From Statistics Canada, "Teenage Pregnancy", (http://www.statcan.gc.ca/kits-trousses/preggross/ preg-gross-eng.htm)
2. From Statistics Canada 2005 data
3. From Statistics Canada 2005 data Today’s Parent, "Parents in Waiting: International Adoption", Diane Peters, September 2009
4. From Guttmacher Institute Study (www.guttmacher.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/journals/3711005.pdf)
5. From Campaign Life Coalition Statistics: Footnote 5 (http://www.campaignlifecoalition.com/index.php?p=Abortion)